What is www.weathercentral.ca?
- Site specific (based on grower’s specific field locations), weather-based, agricultural decision support tools for grain grower
- It is accessible to everyone.
- It is completely free thanks to sponsorships from PRIDE Seeds and Bayer Crop Science.
What features will I receive?
- SPRAYcast® – Based on field location, identifies time of day more or less favourable for spraying.
- BINcast® – Based on bin location, five day, site-specific forecast of optimal times for operating fans. Growers can select any grain for monitoring and are given a five day forecast of drying windows broken down into hourly intervals.
- Growth stage calculator for corn – Growers enter field location and planting date. Receive an estimated calendar for an entire season’s stages – emergence, tassel, blacklayer, maturity, etc. based on CHU and rainfall accumulation at location.
- Corn Drydown calculator – Using calculator above, growers enter estimated maturity date and specify desired % moisture loss to find the estimated day their corn crop will reach blacklayer.
- Insects – Pest advisory of when to scout based on grower field locations and accumulated GDD from planting date.
- Programmable alerts – Growers can receive text/email alerts for frost warning and or before any crucial stages of corn growth – emergence, tassel, silk, maturity. Extremely useful for accurate timing for application of fungicides.
- Weather forecasts for field location area (daily & hourly), monthly rainfall and CHU maps, site specific crop heat unit and growing degree day accumulation and much more.
How do I sign up?
- Go to www.weathercentral.ca and click on “Sign-up for FREE today” where you can create your user ID and password.
- Fill out the form, some fields are required.
- Click submit.
Now that I’m signed up, how do I register my fields?
- To register your fields, you need to locate your field on the map. Enter your 911 address or GPS coordinates in the box provided above the map and click on ‘Go’. You can also zoom in on your location with the + and – located on the left side of the map. Once you have found your farm, click on the location.
- Select your crop (Corn, wheat or other)
- Enter agronomy details – Variety, crop rotation, tillage practises etc.
- Click ‘Submit’. Your field has been added successfully and is marked on the map.
- To add another field, click on ‘Plot more fields’ above the map and repeat steps above. No limit to the number of fields registered!
FOR MORE INFORMATION
- Kathy Lacina at 519-436-7096 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To download a printable copy of this information click here: Weather Central.