Updated: February 8, 2013 – See new copy in green below.
The FarmSmart Conference and Beef Symposium was a tremendous success on Sat. Jan. 19 and the team that worked together to pull the event off couldn’t have been happier that day.
But sadly, an important member of our team suffered a devastating tragedy that same day.
The home of Julia Whalen, conference co-chairman was destroyed by a tragic fire that afternoon. Farm communities have always responded with kind and generous hearts in the times of tragedy of one of their own and we are seeing this type of rally once again to support Julia, Mike and their family in their time of need.
A past president of our Golden Horseshoe Soil and Crop Improvement Association, she was the first woman to hold this position in our region and she has been an integral part of our FarmSmart team since its inception. Our association and the FarmSmart planning committee join with her community and friends to offer their support and invite you to the community fundraiser, organized by her friends and the 4H Region 4 Committee.
SAT. FEB. 9 – Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser for Julia & Mike Whalen, 6 pm to 9 pm at the Rockmosa Community Centre, 74 Christie Street, Rockwood. Click here for directions. Tickets: $10 per person, children under six free. Silent Auction. Live pie auction at 8 pm.
Among the items in the Silent Auction, courtesy of Julia’s friends in the GHSCIA and FarmSmart circles:
- Take in the beauty and wonder of the Niagara area. Enjoy a $100 gift certificate to the renowned and historic Shaw Festival in scenic Niagara on the Lake, provided courtesy of the Niagara South SCIA. Turn it into a special weekend get-away and take in a Sugar Bush Breakfast (Family Pass) at White Meadows Farms, donated by the Bering family of White Meadow Farms.
- Create special memories and give your family a magical moment–take them on a winter sleigh ride at scenic Evergreenhill Farm in Port Dover, Norfolk County. Enjoy the countryside in comfort in a beautiful large bob sleigh pulled by a pair of majestic Belgian draft horses. Bob sleigh an accommodate up to 12 people. Time: 45 minutes to one hour. Redeemable either Winter 2013 or Winter 2014. Donated by Norfolk SCIA President Scott Sowden and his wife, Julie. Value: $135.
- Have you ever wanted to travel to the Farm Progress Show in Decatur, Illinois? Well then, this is your chance. Join the Brant County SCIA on a bus trip to the 60th anniversary of this popular show. The Brant SCIA is donating the $100 deposit required for the trip for the successful bidder. Balance of funds owing ($275 based on double occupancy) to cover trip cost at the responsibility of the purchaser. Departure: Monday, August 26, 2013 and return Thursday, August 29, 2013 (tentative). Value: $100
Pies are always popular in our farm community and there are several that are being lovingly made in our region for the occasion and up for grabs in the live auction. Thanks to Rosemarie, Janice and Heather!
Many people in our Golden Horseshoe SCIA and FarmSmart circle have asked how they can help. Some suggestions for this event:
- Buy a ticket to support the event
- Help cook and/or serve that evening
- Bake a cake for dessert
- Bake a pie for the auction
- Make a donation to the silent auction
For those who are willing to help with food or service that evening, I am sure the event committee would appreciate trying to get a handle on the type of manpower and resources they have committed. You may share those details by email or phone as well, or contact me to get specifics about how to contribute your silent auction item.
- Email: GHSCIA.RSVP@gmail.com
- Text/Phone: 905-703-0744
For those who wish to make donations to support this event, they should be made payable to “Region 4 4H” and remitted, as follows:
- Region 4 4H, c/o Dawn Van Kaampen, 394276 County Road, 12, Amaranth, ON L9W 0N2